Craftgawker, I came across this tutorial on Ricochet and Away! (originally by savvyseams.com) which explains how to sew a beautiful Tudor Rose. Today I decided to give the project a whirl and I'm really pleased with the results. When I first saw the photo of the Tudor Rose I assumed that it was small, maybe only a few inches in size, so I was surprised to print out the pattern pieces and discover that the flower is actually over 12" in diameter. Since the rose is so big, I decided that it would make a beautiful embellishment for a throw pillow for my bed.
I have most of the flower completed and now I'm working on the smocking for the center of the rose. I love that this project is teaching me a new technique...Canadian Smocking. It's surprisingly easy and the results are stunning...I can think of lots of future projects where it could be incorporated!
Now, I just need to decide how to finish off the rest of the pillow (colors, shape, etc.)...I promise to post photos of the finished product soon!
Update: View the finished pillow here!
On a completely unrelated note...it was a beautiful day here in Southern California. Andrew and I made the most of it by spending some time at the beach this morning...delightful! It wasn't quite bathing suit weather, but the sunshine and scenery were idyllic nonetheless. As you can just barely see in the photo below, I took my oilcloth tote and used it as a beach bag!
I hope you're having a great weekend!